A former Mingus Union High School golfer will play in a professional links event in South Dakota this weekend.
Chris O'Connor made the cut for the Siouxland Open on Monday by firing a 64 in qualifying. About 190 golfers were competing for the final 29 slots. The Siouxland Open is a BUY.COM Tour event (formerly the Nike Tour), played at the Dakota Dunes Country Club.
O'Connor graduated from Mingus in 1996. He lettered in golf all four years as a Marauder and served as the team captain his junior and senior seasons. He earned all-conference recognition twice and won the conference title his senior year.
O'Connor garnered second-team all-state status in his final year at Mingus, firing a 72-71 at the 4A championship tournament. After leaving Mingus, O'Connor walked on at Arizona State University. He graduated from ASU in May.
His mom, Marianne Lenz, still lives in Cottonwood, and several other family members live in the Verde Valley.
The Siouxland Open, one of 29 BUY.COM tour events, tees off Thursday. For more information on the Siouxland Open, check out the Web site www.pgatour.com or www.golfweb.com.
More like this story
- Coming Soon<br><I>Some story lines to watch with new prep season on the doorstep</i>
- MUHS grad brings home $10,000 purse
- Great runs on home course<br>Latimer takes silver; Noble and O'Connor race to bronze
- Tougher trails for Mingus Union runners<br>Fewer teams eligible for state cross country championship meet this season
- Runners peaking at right time<br>Latimer gallops to second place at T-bird Invitational