It would seem as if the wind was to their backs and that this was the year to take home a State Championship trophy. Confidence seemed high for the Camp Verde girls basketball team, which had played a near perfect schedule. The Cowboys cruised through the region schedule, winning all of their games taking first place. Then repeated that effort in the regional tournament, grabbing the No. 1 spot.
With their success, the Cowboys met up and dominated their first State opponent, Yuma Catholic 75-45 on Friday and nothing seemed to slow this great team down.
The winning-streak wave would soon crash. The Cowboys faced off against Pusch Ridge on Saturday at Boulder Creek High School. For those who were on last year's team, Pusch Ridge is all too familiar to them. Pusch Ridge defeated the Cowboys in the State Championship game last season and like a thorn in their side, Pusch Ridge did it again this year by a score of 49-36.
Since the fateful game on Saturday, Pusch Ridge has gone on to defeat Valley Christian and is set to square off against St. John's in the 2A State Championship game. The Cowboys say goodbye to an almost perfect season that ended two wins early of a 2A State title.
More like this story
- Camp Verde girls basketball face defending State Champs in quarterfinals
- Camp Verde Football: Cowboys begin State playoff battle tonight
- Camp Verde Volleyball: Cowboys' season ends after 1st round at State
- Football: Camp Verde Cowboys win first round playoff game
- Cowboys clinch 2A Central with win over North Pointe