Saved by the smoke alarm in Cottonwood

COTTONWOOD - Early Monday morning, Verde Valley Fire District crews were dispatched to the scene of a residential attic fire in the 2300 block of South Lariat Circle.

Interior crews discovered the active attic fire around the chimney portion of a wood stove, in an area that also contained electrical wiring. Fire was restricted to the attic of the residence. Crews extinguished the blaze, and checked for extensions.

One of three occupants of the home had awakened to the sound of his smoke alarm, and went to investigate. He discovered there was no power in the room with the wood stove, and went to a utility room that he found filled with smoke. There was no fire in the wood stove, just smoldering ashes, but he also noticed smoke coming from attic vents and called 911.

The three occupants renting the residence, along with their dog, evacuated the home. The trauma Intervention Program (TIP) was called to assist the displaced occupants.

Damage to the residence involved damage to the ceiling including a ceiling joist that had burned through, and substantial smoke damage.

Comments

Comments are not posted immediately. Submissions must adhere to our Use of Service Terms of Use agreement. Rambling or nonsensical comments may not be posted. Comment submissions may not exceed a 200 word limit, and in order for us to reasonably manage this feature we may limit excessive comment entries.

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.