No one should be surprised that political posturing is taking priority over meaningful debate as policymakers struggle to find solutions to gun violence in America, particularly in our nation’s schools.
The conventional wisdom is that last week -- with a much-watched congressional special election, a shakeup in the diplomatic profile of the country, and internal White House debates about how and against whom to impose steel and aluminum tariffs -- answered several vital questions. In truth, the opposite may be the case.
In 2016, marijuana for personal use failed to pass in Arizona, with 51.32 percent of voters saying “no.” Voters barely allowed “medical marijuana” in 2010, with 50.13 percent giving approval.
For the second time in as many years, there is talk of an overhaul of municipal court systems in the Upper Verde Valley.
Editorial Cartoon: March 14, 2018
In desperation, he screamed out to the ocean to help him to stop sinking. The ocean spoke, “The problem is in your mind. You believe you are in danger and you are unnecessarily making yourself afraid. Stop thinking and just swim!”
Can’t say the Clarkdale Car Show this year was better than last year. Last year’s was as good as it gets. But CCS 2018 certainly upheld that tradition. More snazzy cars.
On behalf of our corporate sponsor BMO Harris Bank, congratulations to the champion of the 72nd Annual Yavapai County Spelling Bee, Makayla Boyd, an 8th grader at Bradshaw Mountain Middle School.
I believe when this amendment was written, the arms of choice were muskets.
What do you mean? Don’t call teenagers children. It appeals to emotionalism.
Editorial Cartoon: March 11, 2018
A consolidated Upper Verde Valley school district is still much more talk than action.
Politicians break campaign promises all the time. Some are big promises; some are small. But few have been broken as completely, as brazenly, and as casually as Donald Trump’s promise not to play golf, or at least not to play a lot of golf, as president.
Editorial Cartoon: March 9, 2018
Camp Verde Town Manager Russ Martin has taken a lot of heat for the months-long investigation concerning Town Marshal Nancy Gardner.
The Florida Legislature is considering allowing selected staff to carry a firearm.
The Marjorie Stoneman Douglas High School shootings has certainly knocked over a set of active beehives, some of which have never been so much as jostled before -- but probably should have been.
Depending on how you look at it, the Camp Verde School District has had either a school board problem … or a superintendent problem.
Few words have more descriptive meanings than the word “play.”
Commenting on the revolutions of 1848 in Europe, the British historian A.J.P. Taylor remarked that “German history reached its turning point and failed to turn.”
Four years ago, my husband and I bought a cabin on the edge of the Verde River.
Editorial Cartoon: March 2, 2018
Future conversion of agricultural land to residential development in the Big Chino and lower Williamson Valleys, which overlie the Big Chino basin-fill aquifer, could cause the Verde River to be seasonally dry through Perkinsville.
In the wake of the recent school shooting in Florida, President Trump has, among other ideas, recommended arming teachers in schools.
“We Love America” was the theme of the Patriotic Program with the United Christian School in Camp Verde Feb. 23. And what an uplifting program it was.
- Man rescued from car in Clarkdale (with video)
- Nobody injured in Rimrock home fire
- Cottonwood man arrested while on supervised release
- Former CV wrestling superstar Uhler takes up MMA
- Beaver Creek School will be closed Thursday
- Camp Verde schools to walk out Thursday, return to class on Monday
- SR 260 construction gets new bike path, walkway
- Camp Verde athlete of the week: Freshman Casillas key to CV softball’s successful season
- Verde Valley teachers say walkout a painful but necessary decision
- Independence, pride part of Cliff Castle’s new hotel manager
- Newly-adopted dog saves kindergartner in Wet Beaver Creek
- Camp Verde may purchase old Circle K property
- Nobody injured in Rimrock home fire
- YCSO: Driver in Cornville collision had meth
- Circle K closes Y-intersection store
- CCFMA responds to accident on 1-17
- Commentary: Suspension of Cornfest a reality check for Camp Verde
- Camp Verde, Wischmeyer may have found ‘useable solution’
- Serious injuries in tour jeep rollover on 89A (with video)
- Cows vs. Cars: YCSO responds to vehicle collisions with cattle on Cornville Road