Many Camp Verde wastewater customers were dumbfounded when the May 2018 sewer bills arrived. An increase had been rumored but why, we asked, had our rates jumped so high? As the dust settles, there are more questions than answers.
I am increasingly saddened and dismayed to hear and read the discussion about the consolidation of our school system. To me, the crux of the argument is about the disparity in the salary structure between the high school and elementary schools. How unfair can this be?
Editorial Cartoon: Sept. 9, 2018
Some problems just never go away.
Teachers administered the NWEA benchmark assessment to their students this month. We now have meaningful data that will help us to make appropriate instructional decisions in the classroom for our students.
I would like to congratulate Alex Barber on her primary win in Jerome and wish her success moving forward, as she undoubtedly will have a full plate on her agenda.
I’d like to ask some questions about the sewer fees being charged in Camp Verde.
Editorial Cartoon: Sept. 7, 2018
The old saying about “guns don’t kill people, people do” has a lot in common with the use of social media today.
I am expecting that all the successful candidates will step out of that sphere of criticism and condemnation to find common ground and begin addressing those things that truly matter as we serve the citizens of the City of Cottonwood.
In the latest round of our debate on socialism, my opponent cited several examples of successful socialist states. However, he also averred that socialism and capitalism can co-exist, ergo socialist capitalism.
Opinion: Editorial Cartoon 9-5-18
Let’s be fair. I was not able to address everything in my response to your editorial (see verdenews.com; “Editorial: Local voters stood firm against politics of hate and deceit”). While Kyla Allen was mercilessly attacked on social media, not all of it was untrue.
A true hero he was, a fine example of a man and human being,
Surely our basic humanness can somehow overcome the hate -- it behoves us to find a way back.
There are people in Washington who hate each other but who, for public consumption, pretend not to hate each other. What was almost refreshing about the relationship of Sen. John McCain and President Trump was that there was no such pretending.
The political process has never been known as a showcase for humanity’s best qualities.
Airpark residents are in mourning for our two neighbors. The freedom to fly in this country is still available for anyone willing to study and train to get an FAA license.
Interesting that Kelli Ward would think that John McCain chose to die when it would do the most harm to her campaign for US Senate.
I am so disgusted with Pres. Trump. This man just couldn’t put aside his petty disagreements with Senator McCain and step out to honor him. He tweeted.
Thank you people of the area for supporting me when I had to move my bookstore to a smaller location.
U.S. Sen. John McCain 1936-2018: McCain’s legacy ‘something more profound and dearer than a politician’s campaign slogan’
From the Vietnam combat of the Lyndon B. Johnson years to the political wars of the Donald J. Trump era, John S. McCain III -- grandson, son and father of naval officers, Hanoi prisoner of war, lion of Capitol Hill, presidential nominee, keeper of the American flame and defender of the American faith -- was at the center of the nation’s life.
While both sides of the school district consolidation debate found a way to spin Friday’s ruling as a victory in their favor, the real winner in this legal duel was Presiding Yavapai County Superior Court Judge David Mackey.
Recently (August 9) The Verde Independent printed a letter about the failure of socialism. The writer presented the Soviet Union, Cuba, Venezuela, & North Korea as proof of socialism’s failure. With the exception of Venezuela, the examples of the evils and failure of socialism are communist countries. What the writer didn’t make clear is that communism is an extreme version of socialism.
The gross negligence of the law that this President showed prior to and since his election makes him more fit for federal jail than the White House.
- Judge calls Yavapai-Apache Nation home
- Election: Baker, German questioned on Cornfest, taxes, rodeo during Camp Verde mayoral forum
- Taggers vandalize historic site (with video)
- WAS JUSTICE SERVED? Sabrina Champ says judge let Seth Collins off easy in SR 260 accident
- Local agencies address trafficking rumors
- Heads up! Ban on using handheld cellphones while driving begins Nov. 2
- What people are saying about Verde Connect project
- Shayna Hawkins named 2018 Colonel’s Daughter
- Head-on collision in Cornville sends 1 to hospital
- Seatbelts save lives in two-vehicle accident
- Your cell phone is not worth another person’s life
- Commentary: Local taxpayers should not be stuck with bill for Camp Verde rodeo arena
- Judge calls Yavapai-Apache Nation home
- Yavapai-Apache Nation to celebrate Native American week
- Plane crashes into Cottonwood residence
- Martin names 2 finalists to become next CV marshal
- Obituary: Pearl Bingaman 1927-2018
- Camp Verde man wrestles with black bear near Patagonia
- Getting to know new Camp Verde Marshal Corey Rowley
- Corey Rowley agrees to become next Camp Verde town marshal