Architect A. J. Gilford designed the new building with 8 classrooms at the Lower Townsite.
Mr. Gobins hired Architect A. L. Gilford to design his new building and Contractor George Barnett to build the structure.
The Cottonwood Rural Fire Station, planned during 1973, was completed during April of 1974.
The new Cottonwood Public Library was built on Mingus Avenue near Sixth Street.
Artifacts from Tuzigoot were displayed in the museum at Clarkdale before the Tuzigoot Museum building was completed.
A collection of newspaper clippings tells the story of Sheriff Cameron, Al. Sieber and 3 Indian trackers.
The December snow storms were followed by rain during January.
The Cottonwood Town Council is studying the possibility of locating a new town hall near the corner of Sixth Street and Mingus Avenue.
Changes in Main Street businesses dominated the local news.
New residents of Cottonwood operate the service stations.
A correspondent gathered information about some of the people and the history of Jerome for a series of newspaper articles printed during 1916.
J. J. Fisher discovered a small sliver of unclaimed land, then it was patented by Elizabeth C. Fisher. After Mr. Fisher died in 1911, the property attracted the attention of James S. Douglas.
After the scenic ride on the railroad to Jerome, tourists may enjoy a series of scenic drives on roads to the mines.
Most of the improvements at Jerome mentioned by the correspondent would, as he predicted, burn in another fire.
This home was occupied by Mary Willard until 1921, and has been occupied by the Burnett family since 1973.
Phelps Dodge Corporation was the largest employer and biggest business concern in Yavapai County.
The United Verde Copper Company purchased land for the railroad right-of-way, for the new smelter site and town of Clarkdale, and for water rights from 1906 until 1913.
Once you have tasted the trout of West Clear Creek you will be reluctant to eat their hatchery-raised cousins.
When Jerome grew to be a lively mining camp during the 1890's, Charles Willard started the Alamo Dairy at his Cottonwood ranch and began delivering milk to the prosperous community.
Jerome is still the most unique town in America.
After spending a day and night alone in the forest, Maudie finally gave up during the second day and decided to stay where she was, confident that her daddy would find her.
The family of William W. Nichols used burros to pack water to the mining camps and also sold milk, butter, cheese, eggs, and beef to the early residents of what became Jerome.
The old general merchandise store and post office that served as a meeting place for early residents was torn down and salvaged during October.
Cottonwood was a "Boom Town" with buildings completed every week during the summer of 1917. Roads were bad (with a wash on each end of town and a wash running through the middle of town), water came from a horse trough at Alonzo Mason's store, and there was no electricity or sewer.
Surviving the "Depression" in the Verde Valley was difficult for everyone. Some unemployed men were given the opportunity to earn $15 each month.
The "Old Tree Meeting" on October 3, 1875, was the first of 80 yearly Sunday gatherings at Middle Verde by 1955.
After the Bridgeport Tavern was torn down Jim and Virginia McGowan moved to their new Chaparral on South Main Street in Cottonwood.
The ruins and smokestack of TAPCO are located about 3 miles up the Verde River from Clarkdale.
The oldest buildings in the Cottonwood Commercial Historic District are the 1917 Kovacovich Mercantile grocery store and the 1917 Kovacovich Warehouse. Both are 100 years old.
The Bob Bradshaw Ranch, 9 miles from the highway, now has a western town ready to be photographed.
Although the original wood building was destroyed during a 1925 fire, the business survived as the Cottonwood Hotel. It is a reminder of the old town and its historic past.
About 20 mining claims in Walnut Gulch had been idle since 1907 or 1908. Prescott men bought the property at a tax sale and plan to develop the mines.
The road was proposed during 1946, and built south from Williams 20 miles to the Coconino County line by 1969. Consideration was given to building a railroad route from the Verde Valley to connect with the Williams-Grand Canyon railroad for a scenic network.
The United Verde Copper Company started up on August 1, 1887, after being closed since December, 1884.
There is a grave in Oak Creek Canyon near the Thompson ranch where J. H. Prescott was buried.
Near the ruin of an ancient civilization, "Old West" pioneer wagons and other relics are displayed at this modern trailer park.
With the constant improvements one cannot help but believe that Jerome will be "The Town" for some time to come.
Raging water in Deception Gulch was 12 to 15 feet deep. Roads were washed out and mines became isolated.
Joe Moser and Ray Steele, with the support of Sedona citizens, made their dream of having an airport become a reality.
The Cottonwood Progressive Association tried to revive the Chamber of Commerce.
After deputies were removed from the Yavapai County payroll, there was a new shortage of officers in the Verde Valley.
Trouble grew out of businessmen employing a "scab" to lead the Jerome Hose Team in the race at Prescott.
Tree-removal projects have already caused stream bank erosion.
The "water salvage" program and cutting trees in the Verde Valley has ended for 1969, but the long-term project will continue.
After trees were clear-cut or thinned along the Verde River to "save water" and for "flood control" the wildlife habitat was destroyed, and a few residents began to complain.
The old boarding house was remodeled and opened as Cottonwood Funeral Chapel on September 15, 1949. The building was reconstructed during 1968, and remodeling was completed during 1970.
A new business, fights, a motorcycle speed record, an inquest, an explosion, and the 8th grade graduation were of interest to Jerome citizens during the middle of June.
Mingus Mountain could harbor the very industry needed today. Mining "new" minerals offers a distinct possibility.
The fire destroyed the building owned by Selna and Kovacovich, occupied by Miller and Darlington, the Gonzales barber shop, and the Fountain Saloon owned by Andrew Issoglio.
Jim and Anne Thomas moved from New York to Sedona last August. They opened Sedona's fifth and largest grocery store in West Sedona.